Tuesday 20 May 2014

Hexagon Clock

Here, I decided to 'improve' a clock, bought from IKEA. I wanted a clock which was going to add to the artwork on the walls and something a bit different. After some internet searching for inspiration I came across the IKEA Smycke wall clock which has been a source of interest for 'IKEA hackers'. If you Google image search 'IKEA Smycke' you'll see a number of people have made their own customized clocks, the product lends itself perfectly and I really wanted to have a go. The clock comes with a central piece, some connectors and lots of hexagons, which you can arrange and re-arrange as you like, the aim was to change the colour of the hexagons and to include lots of pattern and textures. Many of the Smycke restyle examples I found used the hexagonal patchwork approach of covering their hexagons in different fabrics. Initially I was going to go with this method until I brought the clock home and realised I didn't have enough fabrics that went well together, I didn't want to buy any new materials for this project so, looking around, I realised I had lots of shades and textures of brown and gold materials and settled for that! I mostly used 3M Spray Mount to stick my papers and fabrics to the hexagons, some of them I covered in brown parcel tape and three with a grey polka dot washi tape. A bit of cutting and sticking later here's how it turned out:







1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. I am appreciating your effort. You can also check our blog : printed wall clocks

    ReplyDelete